Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Christmas Playlist



Today is a public holiday over here, nothing to do with Christmas of course (the 25th is a normal working day) but in celebration of the Emperor's birthday, which gives me time to put together a Christmas playlist.
I've always been fond of Chrimbo songs, both cheesy and non-cheesy, but when I checked the old collection, they were all hideously noisy dirty garage rock numbers, so i've tried to keep those to a minimum.....unsuccessfully!

Enjoy! and of course Merry Christmas!

The Sonics - I Don't Believe In Christmas
Ten Benson - Black Snow
Badly Drawn Boy - Donna and Blitzen
The White Stripes - Candy Cane Children
The 5,6,7,8's - Rock and Roll Santa
Bantam Rooster - Let's Just Fuck For Christmas
The Sonics - Santa Claus
Noel - Merry Christmas Everybody
Ten Benson - Snowman-Snowgirl
The Von Bondies - No Chimney In The Big House
The White Stripes - Story of the Magi/Silent NIght

10 comments:

Luke-sensei said...

I've just realised that the last White Stripes track there could be seen as proselytism, apologies if any offence was caused,it was entirely unintentional (being so indifferent to all religion myself, I didn't even think about it in that context!), I just thought Meg's singing was sweet...

Blimpy said...

Ten Benson!!!!!!

Blimpy said...

The Sonics. The Sonics. The Sonics. The Sonics. The Sonics. The Sonics. The Sonics. The Sonics.

(name that tune!!)

Blimpy said...

Listening to the ten benson has inspired me to put down the laptop and let rip on some garage riffing! Brb!!

Blimpy said...

Ended up being "Touch Me I'm Sick" by Mudhoney. Quelle surprise!!

Luke-sensei said...

@Blimpy - "Losing My Edge" of course....and what a great tune it is!

...and weren't Ten Benson such an underrated band? Not quite sure why eccentrically misanthropic garage indie sung in a weird voice never took off....

Blimpy said...

The phrase "Poor Man's Clinic" springs to mind,,,,

Clinic - now there's a band!!

Luke-sensei said...

@Blimpy - no argument there....in fact I ordered Clinic's new album from HMV online just the other day, very much looking forward to it!

Blimpy said...

I saw them play live for the first time ever in February and was really disappointed. Oh well. Walking With Thee is a nigh on perfect LP - they're very underrated.

Luke-sensei said...

I only saw them once, around 2000, and they were incredible, really spooky and edgy....and i'll go for Internal Wrangler as their best...