Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Arvo Part - for DsD

I noticed a comment from DsD that he hasn't got any Arvo Part in his collection, although he (DsD) likes melancholy music. This is easily rectified, because I'm going to post some (and then everyone else can enjoy it as well - or not, as the case may be).

Arvo Part was born in Estonia in 1935, and I believe he now lives in Germany. I don't know much about him but I understand that at one time, he was a sound engineer for Estonian Radio, and that his early work was based on Western symphonic traditions. He followed this with more experimental music and then, around the mid '70s, developed his "tintinnabuli" style. Much of his work has a religious or spiritual root.

In 1988 I was lucky to hear some of his work at the Huddersfield Contemporary Music Festival - as the audience clapped at the end, a dishevelled looking chap stood up in the balcony and the applause doubled as everyone realised that it was the man himself!

Anyway, here is:

Tabula Rasa
Summa
Fratres
Te Deum

10 comments:

DarceysDad said...

Ooh, thanks Ali.

Now if I can just get bloody Boxstr to play along .. literally ...

DarceysDad said...

Whoops, they're youtube/lastfm links. OK, got it now.

AliMunday said...

Sorry, tried to do it from CD but they are .aiff files or something and I can't convert them to MP3, hence web links. I've got a cold and my brian hurts ...

Anonymous said...

R
H
a片

av片

av女優

洪爺

a片下載

日本a片

色情a片

洪爺


v

dfhgdfhdhtfshjfdhfgjj fgfgj fgh h fghgggh hdshdfh






3

p

AliMunday said...

fengfk2008, is there something you want to tell us?

Shoegazer said...

Feng must be Speng's Asian cousin.

DarceysDad said...

Ali, thanks for posting those links.

This is going to sound strange, stupid even [You, DsD? Stupid? W-e-e-e-l-l-l-l since you mention it ... - Ed.] but for the most part, Arvo Part appears to be too straight-ahead classical. And one of the pieces was almost the classical equivalent of HM guitar-shredding, which I hate. Find me a riff, a theme, a flow, and I'm there. Simply showing how technically adept you are by high-speed playing leaves me cold.

And the other thing with me, (a prime target for one of Tom Service's moans) is that there's something identifiable about rock musicians composing/scoring pieces for orchestral groups. Intangible, but somehow identifiable. I think I have the same issue with operatic vocals; a discussion I set off around 12 months ago, funnily enough.

I'd probably fail a "blind taste test", but then I'm not here to claim expert status or score points for having the 'right' CDs on my shelves.

Not sure where I'm going with this, other than time-wasting til midnight . . .

AliMunday said...

Hi DsD - that's fine, it doesn't matter what you like, it's all about having the chance to listen to other stuff you haven't come across ... that's the beauty of the Spill. I've got very little classical music and my own shelves have a fairly eclectic selection of the weird and the wonderful. I'd never heard of A.P. until I went to that music festival when we moved to Huddersfield. Hearing the music live gave it another dimension.

.... said...

Chuckling at the thought of Speng having an Asian cousin. Mr Speng please will you post us a photo of your illustrious eastern counterpart?
---
Ali - just popping in to say how much I enjoyed listening to this. Glorious glorious music.

AliMunday said...

FP - glad you enjoyed, tabula rasa does it for me ...