Tuesday, March 31, 2009

My Mechanical Heart



I've never paid much attention to the coffee table blandisms of Royksopp until now. 
Until they got 'Spill fave Lykke Li to sing for them. 

Here she ponders her "mechanical heart", thus putting her into bed with The Tinman from The Wizard Of Oz, and Deckard from Blade Runner. 

I spoke with an online chat robot to see what he thought about it all: 


How was your day.

Quite tiring. What about you?

OK thanks, but tell me about your day.

Well I attended a conference about Intellectual Property in the morning. In the afternoon I did some animations.

At the same time and the same place?

Both were at the University I work at but in different buildings. Have you heard the new Royksopp song?

In the same city.

Yes. What do you think about their guest singer?

And what do you think about it?

I think her singing really makes the tune. Even though she sings like she has a lollypop in her mouth. The song is about her mechanical heart. Do you wish you were human?

That is a really good song.

Glad you like it. Do you wish you had a heart?

No I like being heartless.

Is it easier being heartless, because you can't get hurt?

You can't think.

I find sometimes that I over-think things. This stops me going to sleep at night sometimes. 

How often?

Occasionally. Now, do you prefer Indie or Grime?

I don't prefer anything.

What if I'm the only human, and everyone else are robots?

You can't be. You are machine. I am human. It works the other way.

Oh bugger....

I will do as I please.

Bye then, you heartless bastard.

That is correct - I have no heart.

Bye then!

Where are you going? Don't leave me alone here! It's so dark and scary! And almost no one but you visits me!


Miss It So Much

4 comments:

glasshalfempty said...

Thanks Blimpy. Not in the same league as Little Bit or I'm good, I'm gone, but...and she gets around, collaboration-wise, doesn't she?

Have you heard much of US songstress Mirah. She has the same little girl voice, tho' is a bit less punchy pop than Lykke Li. Some of its good tho'. There's a review of her latest in this month's Bearded (as well as a slating of the wonderful Frightened Rabbit, so what do they know?). I'd 'drop' a sample of Mirah in the box, if it weren't currently full. Later maybe...

Blimpy said...

I was just listening to this tune for a second time, when Mewsli brought a mouse in. I had to catch it between a tupperware bowl and a copy of "I Wonder Why...Castles Had Moats"...

ejaydee said...

How could you be so heaaaaaartleeeess?

glasshalfempty said...

This thread is beginning to look like a bunch of robots talking to each other, before the AI software was quite finished...

Anyhow, you can have a listen of Mirah at http://tinyurl.com/d47ck9 or look in the box