Wednesday, March 25, 2009

The Old Weird America



My goodness, I'm very excited now...have any of you heard of Harry Smith's Anthology of American Folk Music? (That's it in the picture.) It's a 6-CD, 84-track set of songs and tunes mostly from the 1920s and 30s - folk, blues, hillbilly and church music (according to Amazon). I've been meaning to buy it for ages but is IS rather expensive...

...well, I've just found a blog where a chap is going to take each track in the anthology and produce a downloadable list of

1 a set of different songs by the same artist; and
2 a set of different versions of the same song by other artists.

So I'm mighty glad I've just bought a 120G iPod! He says he's going to do them all, but he's only done 18 so far, which should give me time to catch up.

The Old Weird America

5 comments:

steenbeck said...

Thanks, TFD, I'm looking forward to listening.

treefrogdemon said...

17 versions of The House Carpenter! (From a range of periods too - he's got Dylan, and Baez, and Nathalie Merchant and Jolie Holland.) We can be happily arguing about demon lovers for ever and ever.

TatankaYotanka said...

Labours of love .... on all fronts. I don't yet own the Anthology but know some of it and think that it captures a period when the melting pot that is America was still joyously lumpy. For me, part of the pleasure of music like Eugene Chadbourne and The Groanbox Boys is the mycelium connection back to this stuff; new fruit from old roots.

Anonymous said...

If you can deal with rar files (free extraction software required), the whole shebang is available on megaupload.com (Harry's long gone & folk music music should be for/by the people anyway). Happy Birthday.

treefrogdemon said...

Ooh, ta, Shoey - yes I can.