Sunday, February 1, 2009

Once




Apologies for being a 'Spill hog tonight but I've just watched one of the best films I've ever seen and since it's essentially a musical, I wanted to share it with all you lovers of fine music. It'll probably turn out that everyone knows it anyway but I'd never heard of it...

It's called 'Once' and it was directed by John Carney (ex-Frames bass player). It stars Glen Hansard (The Frames' vocalist and guitarist who also starred in The Commitments) and a young Czech actress called Markéta Irglová. They're both recovering from failed relationships and it's about how their mutual love of music helps them to believe in themselves and to rebuild their lives.

It really is a life affirming film and I can't recommend it enough.



Edit: Link to the official Once website.

11 comments:

goneforeign said...

OK, talking films, I just sent an email to a friend and one line read:
"and today we saw a wonderful film, reports later. How about that, warm and sunny, 75°, and we're inside in a movie theater: time well spent.....T.
OK, the film was 'The Reader' any and all get thyselves to a cinema, a great though somewhat depressing film, wonderfully cast, directed and acted, well worth everyone's attention.

Anonymous said...

Did this film not win the Oscar for best song, TB? Yet another on my list of films-I-haven't-seen-yet-but will-get-round-to-one-day-honest...

ToffeeBoy said...

@ debbym - you really should watch it. It will fill you with a lovely warm glow - guaranteed.

The song 'Falling Slowly' (the second you tube link) won the Oscar for best song in 2007 and the soundtrack was also nominated for a Grammy award. The film (which was shot on three hand-held video cameras and cost only 130,000 Euros to make) won the Independent Spirit Award for best foreign film.

treefrogdemon said...

Yes, it's on my list too, TB - I remember reading the reviews.

Is it on DVD?

ToffeeBoy said...

@ tfd - affirmative: http://tinyurl.com/blhyms

ToffeeBoy said...

Link

sourpus said...

I brought a copy of the DVD back from the UK to Hungary in the summer of 2008, thinking it wouldn't get a release here, but of course it did. I agree that its a nice little movie, especially the music. Watched it again a few nights ago by coincidence and found the most rewarding sequences second time around were 'recording the demo in the studio' (nice simple 'build' to the song "When your mind's made up") and the scene on the bus where Glen Hansard works through his ex-relationship as a spontaneous blues - very familiar idea somehow for us musicians!

Consider it donded.

treefrogdemon said...

Thanks, TB: ooh, that's a reasonable price. Maybe I'll buy that and pass it on to another 'Spiller - I can't be bothered with these DVD rental schemes.

Anonymous said...

Was a sweet little film. They seemed to be setting up for a sequel, which I hope is not the case, as things worked out quite nicely as they left it.

ToffeeBoy said...

@ Shoey - I'm not sure that 'sweet little film' really does it justice but there you go. As for a sequel, I really hope not - I loved the 'unfinished' ending. And what would they call it? Twice?

Anonymous said...

Sweet action packed blockbuster?