Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Steenbeck, we're cutting you off...

This is the result of discussions on the mother ship and here on the 'Spill about samples... I love them, and I like to know where they came from. This also stems from my last post, because this is the song I was listening to in the car....


And it came from this....It's Eddie Kendricks, and when Kweli said he was a big favorite of Nina Simone as well, I knew it was something I needed to explore.



In the liner notes for Talk to You, Kweli said that he'd love to invite people home to share his favorite music, but since that's not possible, he'd share his version of it, hoping you'd discover the original. It seemed like such an RR sentiment. And then I was listening to Cymande (and loving it) and connecting it to De La Soul, and I was hoping we could get a thing going where people could share things they've discovered based on other music. It doesn't have to be hip hop--I discovered Mikey Dread because of the Clash...the possibilities are endless.

2 comments:

ejaydee said...

Great idea! I'm on it.

TonNL said...

Fine idea, one of my chains of discovery looks like this:

the Clash --> Junior Murvin --> Lee Perry --> Adrian Sherwood --> Dub Syndicate