Saturday, June 6, 2009

All Across Town

I'm very happy with this list, forgive me if it's a bit long. A few words about the 3 Bahia songs. Gilberto Gil is writing this from London, but he misses his hometown. The Golden Boys show just how incompatible English and Portuguese are as languages, but also the emigration from the Northeast of Brazil to southern cities, usually São Paulo. Jorge Ben, a Carioca, does his bit for Bahian tourism, and tells us the joys of this town.



What's one more, eh?
Tracklist:
I'm A Ding Dong Daddy From Dumas - Bob Wills & His Texas Playboys
The Galway Girl - Sharon Shannon
Stockholm Blues - Tony Joe White
Balingor - Soleyayamama & Waato Sita
Kansas City - Joya Landis
Cotonou - Julien Jacob
Galway Bay - Toasted Heretic
Back In Bahia - Gilberto Gil
Düsseldorf - La Düsseldorf
No Train to Stockholm - Lee Hazlewood
Na Bahia Tem - Jorge Ben
West Savannah - Outkast
Africa By Night - Bisso Na Bisso
Weeastpointin' - Cool Breeze
Quero Voltar Pra Bahia - Golden Boys
Sunday In Savannah - Nina Simone
Meeting in Brazilia - Rogerio Duprat

6 comments:

sourpus said...

Great Beirut song and vid. Have you heard The Leisure Society? Like them v much too.

nilpferd said...

I think of these I like the Gilberto Gil the most, Outkast and Bisso na Bisso not far behind..

steenbeck said...

I'm only halfway through, but I can see why you're happy with it! wonderful list. Balingor is just beautiful. Gotta go but I'm looking forward to the rest.

ejaydee said...

Thanks for listening, peeps.
@sourpus, I love the video too, actually I think I prefer this version to the recorded one.

Shoegazer said...

That was a fun trip around Europe, The Americas & Africa. Think the 2nd stop in Stockholm & Marseille (didn't see the whistling coming) were the highlights of my tour. Cheers.

Luke-sensei said...

This was excellent all round EJD. Loved the african sounds and the reggae cover of Kansas City.