Saturday, June 6, 2009

Home by Yann Arthus-Bertrand

Just popping in to share with you a "film event" that we had over here last night, but which has, in fact, been shown in 126 countries. So just in case, really. French photographer Yann Arthus Bertrand has spent the last three years skimming the globe in a helicopter equipped with a special gyroscopic camera (it does a 360 degree sweep) and filming the beauty of our planet. It's a last-ditch cinematic attempt to shake us out of our apathy in order to save the planet before we wreck the place completely. I can't be sure what the real effect of this will be. But two things are apparent: they've managed to create a fantastic buzz around this project. The film can be seen in its entirety in HD quality on YouTube - this is a first. And in terms of the beauty of image, I've quite simply never seen anything like it. We were glued to this last night and I found myself cursing the fact that we hadn't invested in a flat screen 16/9 (an unworthy thought no doubt contrary to the ecological message of the film!) I just wanted to share the link with you. Watch it here It will be on Youtube until the 14th of June so that leaves a bit of time.

Have nice week end everybody! FP.

11 comments:

Chris said...

fp: We have his fantastic book "The Earth From Above" so I'm intrigued by the film idea. But your link doesn't work. I found this trailer for "Home" on YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WQaB1PdsJ_s

goneforeign said...

FP: It's the next on my Netflix list, I should get it by Tuesday. I invested in the 16/9 flatscreen when we did the living room remodel and it's been totally worth it, I'm now watching 2-3 films a week through Netflix and catching up on all those I'd missed. I recently saw, at a theater, 'Earth' which sounds similar. It also uses the amazing gyro stabilised HD camera as it shoots wildlife all over the world, the theme is species in danger of extinction.

.... said...

Hi guys, I've up-dated the link so it takes you to YouTube.

saneshane said...

Skimming. Globe. HELICOPTER! do you know how much fuel they burn.. save planet! contradiction!

Beautiful stuff indeed tho.

ToffeeBoy said...

Well that's my day off on Monday sorted then. Thanks fp.

Are you back now?

FP said...

Morning guys! @ Saneshane - isn't it ironic that lots of the ecological campaigns in whatever form seem to have a sizeable carbon footprint? That's mass communication for you! But I do admire the buzz they've built up. @Toffee: Definately worth sitting down in front of your computer with a beer and some nibbles. The film's stunning. Yes, back from Cannes. It was brilliant. I got to see most of the prize winning films and managed a couple of days on the beach too - weather was very very good. Ate lots of sushi, met lots of old old friends in the biz, had Manuel Goettsching's missus down for a visit and had a great time with her (we got him some prezzies as compensation that he stayed up in Berlin)- and came back 2 kilos lighter (all that running around).

But doesn't the work pile up when you're away from the office? Kerrist!!! Back to business as usual though.

tincanman said...

oh good, so you'll be able to catch up on your email then.

.... said...

Thanks for that cattle prod, TCM :-))
On it's way.....

sourpus said...

FP, Von Trier too?

FP said...

"Strasbourg calling Budapest" : No I chickened out of that one. I had a ticket for the red carpet screening but decided not to go having received a text message from a very dear Turkish journalist friend who saw it at the morning press screening and wrote "Do not go and see it, it is a horrible twisted film and upset me very much". The feedback from colleagues who did see it was that the first hour is remarkable with incredible images. And then it all goes too weird and twisted for words. Charlotte G. got best actress award for it so there has to be something to say for it. And at one point you even get a talking fox!!! I did hear that there is a scene of self mutilation in there and that the decor for the beach party after the screening was a huge pair of scissors. But then there are so many rumours flying around the Croisette - you don't know what to believe. The highlight for me was the Haneke film (in Cannes people don't use film titles, they use director's names : "Did you see the Almodovar? Or the Ken Loach?") which is an absolute stormer.

sourpus said...

Hard not to want to read up on the LVT film, as I am generally a big fan of his. I will probably go see 'it' sooner or later, but there's bound to be some trepidation involved. I still havent gotten over how 'that scene' in 'Irreversible' (not LVT, I know) made me feel, not having been forewarned sufficiently.

Glad you enjoyed yr'sen though.