Thursday, June 25, 2009

A Message From The Beach



Following on from the mega-successful re-listening of "Pet Sounds" by The Beach Boys, the poet Stephen Kalinich wrote in to us, to explain how the Beach Boys' song "Little Bird" came about: 

"Thank you so much for including Little Bird.
I was sitting at his piano on Sunset 14400 Sunset Boulevard and I saw a bird on a tree branch and the lyric  came bursting out of me.I showed it to Dennis..we were inspired.  Around 3 AM he called me in 1968 and played me the song we had worked on that day and we both got chills.It was his first Beach Boy song and mine as well.It was a magical moment an it seems like only yesterday.It still gives me chills and I am still at it."  
Stephen also wrote many other Beach Boys songs, if you would like to find out more about what he's up to, visit his website by clicking here
The excellent record label Light In The Attic, home to one of my favourite ever bands The Black Angels, releases some of his stuff, a free mp3 can be heard below:


Be Still by Stephen John Kalinich

6 comments:

Shoegazer said...

Well, someone needs to say that this was very cool of him (probably be better coming from a BB fan though).

DarceysDad said...

Donds to that, Mr.Gazer.

Luke-sensei said...

as a committed Beach Boys fan (but by no means expert) this is very very cool indeed, thanks for getting in touch Stephen!

mnemonic said...

The lines are running off the page for me and I can't read it. Can anyone post the full message again?

Blimpy said...

"Thank you so much for including Little Bird.
I was sitting at his piano on Sunset 14400 Sunset Boulevard and I saw a bird on a tree branch and the lyric came bursting out of me.I showed it to Dennis..we were inspired. Around 3 AM he called me in 1968 and played me the song we had worked on that day and we both got chills.It was his first Beach Boy song and mine as well.It was a magical moment an it seems like only yesterday.It still gives me chills and I am still at it."

Mnemonic said...

Thanks Blimpy