Tuesday, July 29, 2008

O Pfälzerland, wie schön bist du!


Hey everybody! Back in dear old Blighty after a short break or a long weekend (whichever way you want to look at it) spent in the stunningly-beautiful Pfalz. ToffeeGirl and I go there every second year and we just can't get enough of it - luckily, it's nowhere near the sea and there aren't hundreds of nightclubs - the result of which is, virtually no English tourists - not a kiss-me-quick hat in sight. It was a weekend of long walks up deeply wooded hills (they call them mountains but who am I to disabuse them?) with refreshing drinks available at the top - usually in a ruined castle. And when you come down from the mountains, you have the pleasure of driving (or walking) through the vineyards with buzzards and harriers soaring overhead - and then there are the villages with the Weingüte and Restaurants and the hundreds of House Martins and Swallows flying around. Wunderbar!

And before you ask, yes, I am fully aware that this is a music blog and is not primarily dedicated to holidays/travel - please bear with me - I am slowly but surely working my way towards the tenuous music link.

About twenty years ago I made a tape for my brother featuring lots of northern soul, Capitol and Stax tracks that I was listening to at the time. Since he was then living in Hackney, the tape became known as the Hackney Soul tape. Many years later, I made a CD version, took it on holiday (to Germany) and forced the whole family to listen to it as we drove around the beautiful countryside. The two little MissToffees loved it - so much so, that it's now become an integral part of our trips to the Pfalz and is known, rather incongruosly, as the German Soul CD.

Here are some highlights from said CD for you own listening pleasure. Some you'll already know - some may be new to you - all, I hope, will hit the spot.

Let me know what you think - and, of course, if you have your own favourite holiday sounds, do tell us what they are...

7 comments:

Blimpy said...

tfb - this isn't a music blog!!! you can post ANYTHING!

Blimpy said...

"Everyday should be a holiday" - Dandy Warhols

Shoegazer said...

Podbean? What are we supposed to do with your "I graduated Boxtr training class" certificate?

Welcome back Toffee.

Anonymous said...

Northern soul heaven! "I believe in miracles" was a staple floor filler at the Edinburgh Kangeroo Club ca. 1986. Wonderful to hear that again. Viel Spass im wunderschönen Pfalz!

maddy costa said...

hello ToffeeBoy, you probably could have predicted from various hints dropped over the weeks that i would LOVE this playlist, but really, how wonderful - and it also made the dull duller dullest task of updating the RR A-Z much less of a trial than normal. i thank you! x

saneshane said...

maddy.. I'm sure someone on RR would actually adore the task of updating the A-Z..(if you drop a few hints next time..)



not me though my filing systems a shambles ...I'm looking for BMX Bandits covering Daft Punk..anyone know where I put it?

ToffeeBoy said...

@ shoegazer - I'm afraid I flunked Boxstr-school. I may approach it again when my brain is less frazzled!

@ fp - Danke schön - the Pfalz was a beautiful as ever.

@ maddy - thanks for the thanks - there's lots more where that came from. Another week, another playlist perhaps?