Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Raw and Psychedelic Sounds From 70s Benin and Toga



Whilst trying to find out more information about the LP "African Scream Contest - Raw and Psychedelic Sounds From 70s Benin and Toga" I found the great blog Analog Africa, who put together the compilation. Check em out sometime, lots of great links to other websites too.

Here's a great track that didn't make it onto the compilation, apparently due to the recording quality not being high enough

AHOULI VOU YELLI by Orchestre Poly-Rythmo de Cotonou

I'd write more but my fishfingers, chips and beans are cooked, so I have to dash...

10 comments:

ejaydee said...

Hey I bought that last time I was in London, haven't fully listened to it yet.

nilpferd said...

Sounds good. Have you heard Afro-rock Vol. 1, from Kona records?

ejaydee said...

I looked for that compilation Nilpferd, couldn't find it.

steenbeck said...

I love the picture, and the font, well, the design generally. I came across this album when I was trying to find more ethiopiques vols. I only have vol. 4, and I adore it. Can anyone recommend any others?

ejaydee said...

Vol 6 is great, it focuses on singer Mahmoud Ahmed

steenbeck said...

Vol 6 does look good. Zemedie seems to be a flutey track!

ejaydee said...

It is indeed, I just realised how the organs sort of play the role of second flute in a lot their songs.

steenbeck said...

Do you think that's true of Cymande's Changes, too? I'm not sure what the other instrument is, actually. I've had that song stuck (pleasantly) in my head for days now. I love how the singing doesn't start til towards the very end. It's such a sweet song.

nilpferd said...

EJ, I got mine via Amazon Germany- it seems to be available here-
http://www.amazon.com/Afro-Rock-Vol-1-Various-Artists/dp/B0000641BQ

Anonymous said...

I'll try it Nilpf thanks.
I was listening to Changes yesterday, it is truly gorgeous, I think CYmande rarely made a bad song. They're amazing.