Saturday, January 10, 2009

Freedom Rider

Here is the marvellous Freedom Rider by Traffic from the John Barleycorn Must Die album



I'll try and upload my copy of Freedom Road by The Pharoahs onto Boxtr later today and post that one.

It is on a compilation album I bought ages ago called Stand Up And Be Counted Vol.1: Soul Funk & Jazz from a Revolutionary Era which is still available on Amazon. I recommend it unconditionally.




Here is the track listing;

1. Stand up and be counted - The Flames
2. Revolution will not be televised - Gil Scott-Heron
3. Mighty mighty (spade and whitey) - The Impressions
4. East - Billy Paul
5. Hang on in there - Mike James Kirkland
6. Things ain't right - Esther Marrow
7. Say it loud (I'm black and I'm proud) - James Brown
8. When the revolution comes - The Last Poets
9. Push on Jesse Jackson - Pace-Setters
10. Blue for Brother George Jackson - Archie Shepp
11. My People.. Hold On - Eddie Kendricks
12. Freedom Road - The Pharoahs
13. Loose here - Kain
14. I wish I knew how it would feel to be free - Nina Simone

1 comment:

Blimpy said...

I do like The Last Poets, would it be fair to say they kinda invented rap music, in a way?