Sunday, January 24, 2010

Grace (Is My) Darling



Grace and her dad rescue another lot of shipwrecked seapersons

I see I've nominated 21 songs so far - but as quite a few have been nommed by me for previous topics I thought I'd give you some different ones this time.

Grace Darling - Norma Waterson
Jesus Christ (With Signs Following) - the Gourds
Little Moses - Joan Baez
Cam Ye O'er Frae France - Steeleye Span
The Ballad Of Davy Crockett - Doug Sahm
The Bonnie Earl o' Moray - Five Hand Reel
Hey Jack Kerouac - 10,000 Maniacs
Napoleon's Dream - Richard Thompson

7 comments:

Chris said...

We had a holiday in Grace Darling country (Bamburgh/Seastones area) a couple of years ago and it was a fantastic surprise. Clean, long, fairly empty beaches, ruined castles, great walks and peerless kippers - plus a peculiar ecosystem that provides much better weather than you'd expect. And hardly a McDonalds or Tesco to be found anywhere.
(tfd: Idris Elba came up in gremlin's thread about Eraserhead last week. gremlin, webcore: easily confused...?)

treefrogdemon said...

Ah...yes, it was in gremlin's Eraserhead post. I'll put the link there in case he looks. Ta.

Talking of kippers there's a clue I liked in today's Obs crossword:

Steak course, including something containing a little kipper? (9)

Anyone?

Chris said...

Entrecote? (entree, cot)

treefrogdemon said...

Very good!

Chris said...

'Davy Crockett' is taking me right back to childhood! Uncle Someone-or-other on Saturday morning...?

Joan Baez still startles me when at its purest; and the Steeleye track is weirdly enjoyable.

Who's was that xword clue, tfd? I've a vague memory of it in a Graun one a while back. Mind you, 'kip' is a word from childhood, too, so I didn't have to dig too deep.

treefrogdemon said...

Uncle Mac, I think, Chris. The crossword was yesterday's Azed, in the Observer.

tincanman said...

I've loved Joan Baez's voice, and songs of course, since I was a teen.