Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Red Hot & Riot

I just heard this song on the radio...



That's Dead Prez, Talib Kweli, Jorge Ben and Bilal remixing Fela Kuti's Shuffering and Shmiling. Well, a little bit of research showed that it came from the album Red Hot and Riot, which features many many artists remixing and recreating Fela songs. Seems it's from 2002. Did I know about this? How did I not know about this? Seems it may also have been a documentary and a concert. I'm still seeking information. I can't find a lot of the other tracks to listen to, but I like this one a whole lot.

6 comments:

Blimpy said...

Steen - new gorrilaz for ya:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-SxlD74hvRk

feat mos def!

Blimpy said...

i can;t wait to hear the lou reed one...

steenbeck said...

Me too! and the other Mos Def one. Thanks, Blimpy, I hadn't heard about this.

Blimpy said...

Whelks.

Have you heard Broken Bells? The Shins/Dangermouse hook-up. It's kinda Gorillazy too.

http://hypem.com/#/search/broken%20bells/1/

steenbeck said...

I just listened to a few seconds, but David's on the couch with a migraine, so I'll try again later. I used to listen to the Shins quite a bit. Were they a hype band, and I bought the hype? Not a big fan of Garden State, so that can't be it.

Shoey said...

Remembered that this was a charity thing & that Macey Gray was involved somehow (whatever happened to her?). Anyhow, the mighty Discogs knows more as usual:

http://www.discogs.com/Various-Red-Hot-Riot/release/1758031