Tuesday, January 19, 2010

RIP Kate McGarrigle



I consider myself very fortunate to have seen the McGarrigles in concert - just the once - in the late 80's. A gentle performance of intimacy and simplicity. As is sometimes the way with these things, I probably didnt appreciate their performance at the time as much as I should have done. I grew to appreciate their fine music with time and I'm therefore very glad for my one chance to share in their musical company, whatever the circumstances.

The above is actually one of her sister Anna's songs, but it captures their essence (as I remember it) as a duo and as two voices blending into one sweet and timeless sound. Its also a very poignant song at this time which is so touching, I feel it is right to choose it. I'd also like to dedicate this song to RockingMitch and to wish him well once more from us all.

13 comments:

treefrogdemon said...

Oh dear...thanks, soupus, I didn't know about this.

TatankaYotanka said...

Oh no! :(
www.mcgarrigles.com

debbym said...

I have loved, worshipped, revered and adored the McGarrigle sisters since discovering 'Dancer With Bruised Knees' in my teens.
It's a cruel week this week.

sonofwebcore said...

Thanks for the vid, SOURPUS. I first heard them in 1970 (I was 17) on Harvest's Picnic: A Breath Of Fresh Air. Saw a documentary a couple of years ago about Kate's ex-husband Loudoun Wainwright III, father of Rufus (Rufus Is A Tit Man, yeah right), and Martha (Bloody Motherfucking Arsehole). Not my fault if Martha is an accurate reporter. Loudon was in Belgium (as I remember) sticking his tongue out and doing his fake playground laugh pointing out the brothel in which he cheated on Kate during their HONEYMOON!!!!
The poor woman.

Abahachi said...

Really not a good week.

TonNL said...

R.I.P. Kate....
"Complainte pour Ste. Catherine" was an instant favourite when I was about 15, it remains one of my all-time favourites.....

debbym said...

I know not everyone is the RR community has cash to spare, but for credit card holders who might like to make a donation in honour of Kate, here's the link to the MUHC Kate McGarrigle Fund
https://www.muhcfoundation.com/en/civicrm/contribute/transact?reset=1&id=14

If anyone is in touch with Mitch, I'd like to make a small donation to a charity of his choice for Mrs. Mitch (it will only be small, and it won't be able to do it before next month). Could you please pass that on and let us know which charity?

sonofwebcore said...

DEBBYM - ROCKINGMITCH said make any donations to MacMillan Nurses in Di Mitchell's name. With a big 'thank you' from Mitch.

Shoey said...

Perhaps 'Spillharmonic should have a shareholder meeting & divert some funds along the lines Debi suggests?

Shoeycantspell said...

Oops, sorry about the spelling, Debby.

Shoeycantspell said...

Oops, sorry about the spelling, Debby.

Shoeycantpostonce said...

Oops

debbym said...

Donding Shoey's suggestion! I really think it would be appropriate for us to make a group/community donation for Mrs. Mitch - doesn't have to be huge. Would there be any objections?
Thanks for passing info along, webcore.