Monday, January 18, 2010

MLK Day

It's Martin Luther King day here in America. I can't post Nina Simone every year, and for some reason this song just stuck in my head today when I was thinking about what the day means. Probably mostly for the line "A lot of things have changed, A lot of things have not."

But it's not just that. It contains a healthy dose of conspiracy theory paranoia, which I think fits.

But mostly it's because I'm overwhelmed when I think MLK's courage in the face of known danger - his sense of a bigger purpose.



All over the world hearts pound with the rhythm
Fear not of men because men must die
Mind over matter and soul before flesh
Angels for the pain keep a record in time
which is passin and runnin like a caravan freighter
The world is overrun with the wealthy and the wicked
But God is sufficient in disposin of affairs
Gunmen and stockholders try to merit your fear
But God is sufficient over plans they prepared





Well, I'm sure it's not perfect for the occasion, but it's what I've been thinking about today.

2 comments:

ejaydee said...

Beautiful post.

nilpferd said...

Agree with EJ.
Incidentally, there was a spot about MLK day on the kid's news programm on German TV this evening.