Monday, November 16, 2009

Desperately late ...

DarceysDad, Dave Harding, DaddyPig, Willy Vlautin
(with thanks to RF guitar player Dan Eccles for taking the photo, and drummer Sean Oldham for manning the merchandise stall whilst I buggered about setting this up!)

The picture is indeed from September's Richmond Fontaine gig at The New Roscoe in Leeds. But what with one thing and another, I never got round to doing a review write-up. Too late for that now, I suppose, but the band's natural fit for this week's Readers Recommend Desperate Songs topic gave me an excuse to approach it from a different angle.

Willy Vlautin strikes a chord with me specifically because he writes about the sorts of character that I very, very nearly became. But for one fortuitous choice previously recalled in goneforeign's June Forks In The Road EOTWQ, I would (OK, could) have been an unqualified, disaffected drifter blindly walking a lifechoice fencetop 'twixt working-class nobody and underclass loser; the only difference between me and Willy's desperadoes is that I'd have been northwest UK instead of northwest USA.

I'm not going to repeat the songs I nominated on RR, as I did find links for those, but to prove I could have easily nominated twenty more, here's another couple of favourites that fit the Desperation topic. I've tried to find some of the more uptempo garage-y tunes to counter the softer ones I nominated on the mothership:

Concussion
Pinkerton
43

If I get a chance tomorrow, I might add a couple of other (non-RF) desperate songs, because I have loved this topic. Of course that means I'm setting myself up for another fall(out) with our Guru if PaulMac's choice doesn't include at least a DsD brace!!
(It's finally GOTTA BE Lorraine Ellison's week, hasn't it?)

.

6 comments:

tincanman said...

Which one's Pink?

May1366 said...

Cheers DsD - I have to confess the name meant absolutely nothing to me when I saw it nominated, but the way they came across in the comments supporting your nomination got me interested. So I can add Richmond Fontaine to the list of music I've come to know for the first time, get to know better or appreciate again since arriving on the RR scene. I think "Concussion" is the one I find the most appealing at first listen but it's great to have had the introduction. And yes, because I think I neglected to dond it over there, Lorraine Ellison has to be a shoo-in. Of course, if we all totted up the shoo-ins each week, it'd make for a Top 90 but, among shoo-ins, she's a shoo-in.

DarceysDad said...

Thanks, May.

I've thoroughly enjoyed this week's topic and blog, and with the comments from tonymulryan and now yourself, I figure I've had a worthwhile week even if PaulMac ignores all my selections again. But (i) don't let Guru#4 know that will you, because (ii) I bet I won't feel the same way at midnight Thursday if he really does avoid any of my selections! Fickle, me!

Actually, you know what? I think I've pinned down the cause of my recent unease about RR. As the blog gets bigger and bigger, it should get mentally easier to accept nominations not making a final list, but that's not happening with me: perversely, I'm getting more and more worked up about it. Hmmm ... now that I've identified that paradox, I'd better go figure out how to solve it.

DarceysDad said...

Oh, and btw, the three songs are chronologically ordered up above - Concussion is a decade old (though this is the 2005 rerecording), 43 is from this autumn's We Used To Think The Freeway Sounded Like A River album.

TatankaYotanka said...

Which one's Pink?

Pfft . I got their album when they were more of a blues outfit .

DaddyPig said...

I appear toi be channelling Marty Feldman in Young Frankenstein....