Sunday, November 15, 2009

It's a desperate life



This is the bit where George Bailey has come to his enemy, the evil banker Potter, to beg for a loan - and when Potter finds that George has a $500 life-insurance policy he tells him: "Why, you're worth more dead than alive!" (Although I very much doubt that the insurance company would've paid out if Clarence the angel hadn't intervened in George's subsequent suicide attempt.)

From It's A Wonderful Life

Here are two songs about love, three about death, and one about needing a new roommate.

Why Must I Plead - Richard Thompson
Love Has No Pride - Bonnie Raitt
Sandy Hill - Maggie Holland
Karla Faye - Mary Gauthier
Henry Russell's Last Words - Diana Jones
New Roommate - the Gourds

10 comments:

treefrogdemon said...

I put them in this order so Bonnie's "Sweet JESUS!" would be a comment on the despicable pair in the RT song.

ToffeeBoy said...

@ tfd - I'm looking forward to listening to these later. Meanwhile. it's probably just DarceysDad and me who would react this way to reading your post, but I now have the magnificent Wonderful Life by Black playing in my head.

Carole said...

I'll listen later.

Makinavaja said...

@TB you, DsD and me! Great list Tfd!

treefrogdemon said...

Ta, Maki: and happy birthday to Mrs Maki from all at Treefrogdemon Towers!*


*that would be me and the cat, but it's the thought that counts

Makinavaja said...

We're cat lovers so it means a lot!!

ToffeeBoy said...

Welcome to the club, Maki!

gremlinfc said...

GREAT FILLUM - an absolute classic which always moves me (big softie GFC...)

tincanman said...

@ Toffee
No, there's three of us (Wonderful Life)

tincanman said...

Enjoyed the last 2 best TFD.
Those Gourds sure can spin a yarn