Here's why I like them...
1. They are very adventurous musically. Every song changes up frequently, and sounds very accomplished and complicated to me. (Chris - don't disillusion me!)
2. Their lyrics, while frequently abstruse, are often very beautiful and evocative.
3. They're quite strange, but I think honestly so, I don't think it's a pose. And there are some bands I find depressingly strange, but I find them upliftingly strange.
4. Well, I like the voice a lot.
5. It just all comes together somehow. Many disparate, strange, cacophonous moments somehow come together to be very pleasing to my ears
I suppose many of you are familiar with them, but I was looking at their website today, and it had these embed-able playlists for their two albums, so I thought I'd share them here. Some Loud Thunder is quite playful sonically, so don't adjust your speakers. My favorite song of all is Skin of My Yellow Country Teeth. The song I'm currently obsessed with is Mama, Won't you Keep Them Castles in the Air. (You know, if you only want to listen to one song from each album. But I'd suggest listening to them ALL! ALL!)