Saturday, December 26, 2009

They've Only Gone And Closed Entries To Fresh Starts !


Shurely Shome Mishtake ?? We were promised a nice lazy ramble through to New Year's Eve, no rush, no names, no packdrill. No mandrill I wouldn't have thought. But no, Boxing Day after a weedy six hours of sleep (you're lucky - Ed) I rise and shine, take the beef from the fridge, sign on to the RR blog with an absolute CRACKER of a fresh start song, not only about fresh starts generally but introducing a band who were IN THEMSELVES a fresh start as I have already attempted to explain here regarding their first single "Virginia Plain." The first track off the eponymous first album is right on the money : an announcement of starting again.

"Next time is the best time we all know"

I talk, of course, of the great Roxy Music and their opening gambit : "Re-make Re-model"

They certainly remade and remodelled rock music into a sci-fi glam nightclub lounge art-rock act, and for that I and millions of others will be eternally grateful.

Will repost resquiggle if the blog goes live again.

Now where's that joint of beef...


16 comments:

steenbeck said...

Good spill post, Magicman. Could it be your first? Welcome aboard, if so.

sourpus said...

I would have donded it

magicman said...

Thanks Steenbeck. It's not my first as I attempted stuff about a year ago. Still can't work out how you all get you tube posts up here though !!

severin said...

I can't hardly figure out much more than replying to stuff.
Anyway, if the nomblenations do get opened again, remind me that I wanted to suggest "Boy" by Ian Hunter."Cheer up mate put the dramas in the past - Do you have to run Do you have to hide There`s a new tomorrow.." and all that.

steenbeck said...

I thought you'd posted before, Magicman. Well, welcome back. To post a youTube link, copy the embed code next to the youTube video, (At the bottom of the little grey box that has the user's profile and "more info" etc.) and paste it in the box on the 'Spill. THen hit publish post. Easy peasy lemon squeezy, as my boys would say.

steenbeck said...

Quick, somebody say a random word so that we can all scramble to make lists of songs that relate to it somehow.

Makinavaja said...

Here's your starter for ten, Steen...
vocation

saneshane said...

going on holiday with a vocoder.. shit that's tuff.

TatankaYotanka said...

Vocation ... Born to be Wild

Makinavaja said...

TY - Donds!

Born to Run!

DaddyPig said...

If we want the blog re-opened, then e-mailing community.suggestions@guardian.co.uk has worked for me in the past, when the blog inadvertently closed too early.

Anyway magicman, good to see someone else mentioning 'Smile' under albums of the decade; and donds for Virginia Plain and the earlier Roberta Flack & Donny Hathawat nomination.

steenbeck said...

Ackkk! I'm away from home. And stumped. Tough one, maki. I'll give it some thought....

steenbeck said...

Oh! Boogie chilling... It's in him, and it has to come out. That's John lee hooker, of course.

Makinavaja said...

I was made to love her - Stevie Wonder

Makinavaja said...

Magicman - sorry for possible thread-jack! I have opened a new thread for anyone who wants to take part.

magicman said...

happy for thread jack to have occurred. It's why I posted in the first place, cos there's nuffink on the muvvership. one does get terribly acclimatised to reading this blog on any given day.
thanks steenbeck - will attempt to apply new brain technology soon