Tuesday, December 22, 2009

It may be winter outside ...


Just got home from my last day at work - ever! Well, at that work, anyway. So it's time to sit back and relax and enjoy the festive season with a huge weight lifted from my shoulders and a spring in my step. Or at least there would be a spring if wasn't for this stupid cold that I've had for over three weeks (featuring, a cough which has lasted for a fortnight and has gone down to my chest and every time I cough, my whole body aches from head to toe). Bless ...

Anyhoo,I know we've all got loads to do and lots of music to listen to already (courtesy of the extraordinary festive 'spill lists) but if you need a bit of inner warmth in your life, this playlist may just be the answer. I've been listening to nothing but Christmas music on my journeys to and from work over the past few days and this is just a small sample of the stuff I've particularly enjoyed. It's full of cheese (of course) but it's the sort of strong aromatic cheese that goes so well with a glass of red wine drunk in front of a roaring open fire - or, better still, some port. Or in my case ginger beer. Or in fact, since I don't eat cheese ...

This also allows me to wish every darned wonderful one of you a stress-free, fun-filled festive season. Enjoy every moment - I know I will.

Are You Coming Over For Christmas?
Driving Home For Christmas
Winter Wonderland
Stop The Cavalry
What Child Is This Anyway?
Süsser Die Glocken Nie Klingen
Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas
O Come, O Come Emmanuel
It May Be Winter Outside (But In My Heart It's Spring)

9 comments:

Makinavaja said...

Thanks for the Chris Rea. That one really brings Xmas to life for me. His dad used to have a cafe in my home town "Rea's of Saltburn" and this song is special to me. I'm not getting over there this year so it's made me even more nostalgic than normal...

steenbeck said...

RIght back at you, ToffeeBoy (wonderful, stress-free, fun-filled festive season).

sourpus said...

Wishing you and yours a good one, naturally, Toffee old thing. Been listening to 'Because Her beauty is Raw and Wild' a lot lately and liking the messages in the songs more and more each time. Dont know why I didnt give it more of a spin before. Cheers!

DarceysDad said...

Seasons greetings, Toffee. Another point of disagreement between us then: cheese is food heaven!!!

AliMunday said...

I'm going to be singing most of these all day now. I'm not a great cheese fan unless it's the really smelly sort that makes everyone else turn green. That nice piece of blue Stilton in the picture looks about right ... Hope you have a lovely, cheese-free Christmas.

treefrogdemon said...

So you're not going to be helping me with my research any more, TB? Huh.

Hope whatever the new thing is works out for you!

FP said...

Toffee, my musical partner-in-cheese, Wishing you and Toffeegirl a lovely Christmas. It may be winter outside is akcherly officially cool as I got it zedded in Dorian's winter/cold playlist. I've been listening to it on 'repeat' since the beginning of December. Arguably my favourite ever Chrimbo song.....Waving a Pilsener Urquell in your general direction.

ToffeeBoy said...

@ Maki - Driving Home For Christmas is my number one festive guilty pleasure. It doesn't get much better.

@ steenbeck - I have no doubt you'll have a fantastic few days. Your boys are at just the right age to enjoy the magic of it all. Prize every moment.

@ sourpus - I think it's one of his best ever - and that's saying a lot! Has Jojo ever done a Christmas song? I'm not aware of one.

@ DsD - who needs to agree about things!?!? That would be dull.

@ Ali - as the old saying goes, one man's cheese is another woman's ginger beer.

@ tfd - not at all. I'll be doing two jobs - one of which will be a freelance researcher. No charge for 'Spiller of course!

@ fp - I thought you might like this lot. Winter Outside is one that's crept up on me over the years and now Christmas wouldn't be Christmas without it.

Thanks for all the comments. Have a lovely Christmas, one and all.

DaddyPig said...

I know I'm late, but just to say I like that version of "Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas" - I'm having trouble placing the singer, is it James Taylor ? I've got Judy Garland on a compilation and listen to the original a lot, for me she doesn't fade with repeated playing.

To partner smelly blue cheese for a special treat, a dessert wine like a Sauternes is good; you can often get half-bottles, as a little goes a long way.