Monday, December 21, 2009

Covered in snow, and under cover of darkness


Snow And Lights

The tree we have outside that's really outgrown its pot. Picked as a 12" sapling in Scotland some years ago, I now can't even reach the top with the stepladders! Sorry about the light quality of the photo; DarceysMam has taken the good camera to Granny's house. (The snow isn't really that orange! I might redo this in daylight.)

Anyhow, this is a notice, of sorts. Training/consultancy work has been so scarce in '09, I've had to get an additional, employed job, starting tonight, to avoid serious damage to the savings. As that's the midnight shift (so that I can at least try to keep my business going during the daytime), I won't be joining in the MFF any more on the mothership, and my weekday blogging is going to be restricted to sneaking the odd 20mins in a morning if it is my wife's turn to take the girls to school.

I haven't had to jump-on-command (other than to DsMam, natch) for a decade or so; this could turn sour very quickly!!! Wish me luck. Of course, if anyone knows a company in need of any Industrial H&S training, you could save me the ignominy ... distance no object, as Abahachi already knows.

14 comments:

Mnemonic said...

Oh DsD, we#ll miss you so much on the MFF (and the rest of the blog). Really hope business picks up fast and that you'll be back hogging that first post spot again.

ejaydee said...

Donds to what Mnemonic said, I hope you're back in full swing very soon.

DarceysDad said...

Thanks, you two.

The music, by the way, is from Explosions In The Sky.

steenbeck said...

An MFF without DarceysDad is like a day without sunshine.

I feel for you, Rich. I know this wouldn't work in every job, but to prove what an RR addict I am...I told them at my job that I have a "thing" on Thursdays, so I can't work thursday night. I implied it was child-related. They've never asked!! It's not always that simple, though, I know. And priorities have to shift sometimes. I hope we have you back in full force soon.

steenbeck said...

Oh, and I like the photo of the tree. When I was little we used to have christmas trees with roots and soil, and we'd plant them after christmas. Two of them are now bigger than my parents' 3-storey house!!

AliMunday said...

Good luck DsD, we will miss your contributions. I hope things pick up soon. Lovely tree!

Carole said...

Yes, good luck from me too, DsD.

nilpferd said...

Welcome to the odd-20-minutes-every-other-morning shift, DsD! Shall I pencil you in for a wake-up coffee for the new years' RR?
Best of luck with the new job, hope things pick up for you.

bishbosh said...

@DsD: Shit! What? NOOOOOO! But the opening nom of the night just HAS to have a pic of Bill Shankly next to it! It's the LAW! Hope the new job isn't too onerous, fella - and that things pick up enough in 2010 for you to ditch it pronto!

Luke-sensei said...

yeah, good luck DsD....being forced to take on a second job too this year, I know exactly how you feel (the second job is full of the same petty jumped-up middle managers I thought i'd left behind forever and I truly hate it, but a man's gotta do what a man's gotta do and all that....) and as above I hope that things pick up soon for you soon......頑張ってね! as we say in Japanese!

Makinavaja said...

Very best of luck with your business next year DsD. I hope the new job turns out to be short-lived for the right reasons! Being self-employed myself, I can really relate to how you feel about returning to the "jump-on-command" environment! It looked on the cards for me earlier this year but fortunately things seem to be picking up.
¡Suerte y al toro, maestro!

Chris said...

Take it as easy as you can, DsD: although I know you don't need much sleep, working nights does mess with your head. All the best.

ToffeeBoy said...

Good luck, old thing. Hope it works out for you.

DarceysDad said...

I'm really touched by that lot; thank you very, very much, people.

Just got back from my first shift, and ... hmmm. Less said, the better, I think.

But most importantly -

@ nilpferd: Hippo Java Mix?? YES, PLEASE! I'm gonna bloody well need it. And I've got a mug-cover sieve now, to filter out the eggshells. Spot on!!