Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Tim Hart 1948-2009



Tim Hart of Steeleye Span has died of lung cancer aged 61. That's him on the left in front, and this photo, from the Grauniad website, has the bottom half cropped so you can't see the rollup in his hand. From the obituary: "Their [Steeleye's] novelty Christmas release, Gaudete, led to a collaboration with Mike Batt, the creator of the Wombles pop act, who produced their eighth album, All Around My Hat (1975): the title track reached No 5 in the UK singles charts. Further hits eluded the band..."

Well, I like All Around My Hat a lot, but as many people don't, I thought we could listen to Gaudete instead. 'Tis the season, and all that. I expect it's the being in Latin that's the novelty.

Gaudete - Steeleye Span

4 comments:

FP said...

I loved all around my hat. Just off to deezer it. RIP and thanks for the reminder....

lambretinha said...

R.I.P. Tim Hart. Steeleye Span is not a band I know that well, so there's not a lot I can add, but I've always found them interesting whenever they've been at listening distance.

It seems it's been a bad week for music, by the way, Vic Chestnutt passed away a few days ago too. A very talented man with a tragic story. R.I.P too...

AliMunday said...

I bought Gaudete when it first came out, and think I still have it. I had a very big crush on Tim Hart when I was young and impressionable, and he was a fine musician. Maddy Prior's voice just soars. Thanks TFD.

TracyK said...

Nooo! The first folk music I ever listened to, never considered as cool as Fairport but equally talented. Very sad news.