Sunday, March 16, 2008

DANNY BOY - THE NATIONAL ANTHEM!


OK, Just because today's the big day, at least on this side of the pond, we're going to celebrate by singing the national anthem. So you won't feel left out I've given you a fair selection, though I had to exclude Aaron Neville, Charlie Haden, Al Hibbler, Don Byas, Tony Bennett, Rufus Wainwright, Roy Orbison, Glenn Miller, Bill Evans and possibly hundreds of other versions. So, everybody on their feet with their glasses raised: Ladies and Gentlemen, the National Anthem...

4 comments:

treefrogdemon said...

gf! you missed out Richard Thompson!

goneforeign said...

Well since everybody's done it I assume he must have also. Of this group I amazed at Tatum, worst ever, Johnny Cash sounds drunk and Willie Nelson ain't wonderful, the Bill Evans runs 10 mins so he's out. Somewhere around here I have a VHS tape of a film just of the many different versions, couldn't be bothered looking for it.

treefrogdemon said...

Last year I was in San Antonio for St Patrick's Day and I was simply amazed at it...it seemed as though EVERYONE was wearing green, and silly leprechaun hats, including people who were obviously Mexican. It was a blast!

(This year I'm missing it, but I'll be there for Easter so no doubt Easter bunnies will be in evidence instead.)

goneforeign said...

Ms. Demon; I hope you enjoy tour visit to land of the free etc. Re. Mr. Thompson, if I'd included him I would have felt obliged to find the Driveby Truckers, the Deep Purples, The Serge Gainsbourg's et. al, and to include the 10 minute Bill Evans version which is more than you could reasonable expect most people to put up with on St. Paddy's day.
Have a nice trip, we'll expect a full report.