Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Leb wohl!

Well, as I mentioned on RR last week, I'm off to the Bavarian Forest for a fortnight, and so am going to miss the final weeks of Our Guru and the social. I thought therefore that I should get my tribute in early, with a list of Tracks That Dorian Really Ought To Have Selected...

First up, from the Biblical thread, is Gilad Atzmon and the Orient House Ensemble with 'Rearranging the 20th Century': 'It Ain't Necessarily So' combined with a couple of other tunes a Robert Wyatt narration on the Creation. Secondly, for space travel, the Esbjorn Svensson Trio's lovely, floaty 'From Gagarin's Point Of View'. Third up, one of my great obsessions, the Polish trumpeter Tomasz Stanko with his version of Krzysztof Komeda's theme from Rosemary's Baby, equally good for babies or sleep. Fourthly, true jazz madness from Bud Powell with 'Un Poco Loco'.

Finally, a great cover version, from the Brad Mehldau Trio, of Radiohead's 'Exit Music (For A Film)'. If the final topic from Dorian has anything to do with exits, or farewells - or great final tracks from albums, as someone suggested this week - could someone nominate this on my behalf? Have a great couple of weeks, and many thanks and best wishes to Dorian...

No comments: