Monday, March 24, 2008

AN INTERESTING POP MUSIC DOCUMENTARY




Flashing back to our recent discussion re. insomnia, I awoke Sunday morning at 3am, I turned on the bedside radio and there was a very interesting program just starting, it was a 4 part documentary and the topic was 'Pop Music.' the first segment fit so many of the sort of comments here, it was about mix tapes between an man and his wife and it rang many bells. The second was about Sister Rosetta Tharpe, her origins and influences on rock, her first recording in 1938 was titled 'Rock Me', the next was the origins of the UK's Pub Rock which laid the groundwork for the success of the Sex Pistols and the Clash, and the final segment was about a novel set in LA and structured around a pop group.
When I heard it I wished I could share it so I checked online and I found it, if you have an hour to spare [in 15 min segments] you'd find them all interesting, it's at http://www.wpr.org/book/070401a.html

No comments: