Saturday, March 13, 2010

Bishie goes to Bollywood (again)

Me again, with the second in what may be a semi-regular feature (depending on when my Bollywood well runs dry).

Here are a few more of my faves anyway:

This is the title track from a proper all-star Bollywood weepie about loving your fahhhh-m'ly. Peggy Mitchell would love it.


This next one was played everywhere when I was in India four or five years ago. I'm aware it's kind of Europop cheesy (shades of Dr Alban?), but happy associations an' that...


This one features in a beautiful, 'starcrossed lovers' romance, "Veer-Zaara": he's an Indian (Hindu) fighter pilot; she's a young Pakistani (Muslim) woman. The fates conspire against them. Natch. Swoon, kids, swoon...


And finally, another from my ultimate fave Bollywood film, "Rang de Basanti". This one has me in bits every time when I watch the movie (it might be the Westlife-esque key change):


Next time, I will dig out some slightly more credible tracks from the Subcontinent, I promise...

5 comments:

Makinavaja said...

On the midnight pain killer shift - ie: I have to stay awake and administer said drugs even if Mrs M drops off. This is making the staying up worthwhile. Thanks BB!

goneforeign said...

Bish: Many years ago I heard an Indian raga with what sounded like a violin lead, I'd never heard anything like it before. I had a friend who was with the British Council at the embassy in Delhi so I asked her to research violin ragas, and sure enough they do exist, quite common in fact. She was due to leave Delhi and was going home via the US and she'd planned to stay a few days with us. So when she arrived she had a Care package for me, 22 CDs of every kind of Indian music, I had no idea there was such variety, all I really knew was Ravi Shankar.

bishbosh said...

Glad you enjoyed, Maki - hope you both managed to get some decent sleep in the end!

Wow, gf - what a great gift! Although 22 CDs sounds quite daunting!

Unknown said...

Thanks again for this Bish

Shoey said...

Would I like this less if I knew what they were banging on about? Suspect this might be so. Interesting, because usually the reverse is true when am linguistically challenged by a toon.

(that's a thumbs up, btw)