Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Dream-Folk Radiohead

Regular readers with a vaguely unhealthy interest in my musical preferences will know I consider Gillian Welch's version of Radiohead's Black Star to be one of the most beautiful things in the history of beautiful things.

I came across this while trawling YouTube the other day. It's not quite in the same league, but it's still rather beautiful.



My wife was asking for a definition of "ethereal" recently; I played her a Marissa Nadler song.

Next week: Beach House do Idiotecque, Fake Plastic Trees by Alela Diane and Joanna Newsom's Paranoid Android...

5 comments:

lambretinha said...

Love the song, Barbryn. Need to catch up on a few others you mentioned.
In that same compilation there's a cover of "Lucky" by My Brightest Diamond that also could be there.

barbryn said...

@lambre - the ones I mentioned were a joke. I had no idea there really was an actual Dream-Folk Radiohead genre. I'm just listening to the My Brightest Diamond track now. She also has an incredible voice. Will check out the rest of that compilation.

lambretinha said...

Damn, I want a Newsom's "Paranoid Android" cover now! :P

barbryn said...

It would be amazing, wouldn't it?

If anyone's interested, the Stereogum tribute to OK Computer that these come from is available as a free stream here: http://stereogum.com/okx/

The Flap said...

Far too saccharin...

Love the original.