Saturday, March 6, 2010

Carole's Springtime Playlist




The picture is by Pre-Raphaelite painter John William Waterhouse and is called "A Song of Springtime", which seems appropriate.

Anyway, when Steenbeck asked us all to contribute songs for the Fishy Birthday Bash playlist, I found it hard to limit myself (which is why I have two selections on the list anyway) and kept coming up with songs.

There isn't anything here that is particularly leftfield or radical, just some pretty solid good music, in my opinion.

What they all have in common is a kind of spring, bounce and general joy de vivre, which seems fitting now that the Winter is receding and we can start looking forwards to a bit of Springtime warmth and sunshine.

Ace of Wands

Damn, I wish I was your lover

I Zimbra

The thrill of it all

Don't leave me this way

Freedom rider

Only love can break your heart

The shoop shoop song

Peg

King Tubby meets rockers uptown

Prove it

Nathan Jones

Song 4 Mutya

There is a light that never goes out

This is Radio Clash

13 comments:

Makinavaja said...

Enjoying this Carole. Winter is hanging on and fighting tooth and nail not to lose its grip on us here in a windswept and rainy Madrid (no, really!) so this is just the tonic! Thanks.

bishbosh said...

I BLOODY LOVE BANANARAMA! There, I said it. (Or rather, shouted it.) Thanks for these, Carole.

DarceysDad said...

Hi Carole. Sophie's is a big DsD fave song; it was the first one I ever heard from her, and for me it's a shame she's never topped it.

tincanman said...

Nice list Carole. Thanks!

tincanman said...

That Saint Etienne Only Love Can Break Your Heart should be mandatory on any spring afternoon playlist

The McFlahs said...

we're loving this playlist!

Blimpy said...

i also note that Sophie B Hawkings uses the "Levee" drum break - I've been meaning to write about it for ages, but as ever haven;t got round to it. Spill points for anyone who can name other "levee" sampling tunes!!

Blimpy said...

mrsmcf is especially grateful for the smiths and banananarama

Carole said...

Trevor Horn used the "Levee" drumbreak extensively in Frankie Goes To Hollywood's music.

Blimpy said...

on which songs, carole?

Carole said...

Relax, I think, and also Two Tribes.

Chris said...

Carole: I know you're partial to 1989 Dead. I've just seen a CD release of the concert on 7/7/89 advertised on Amazon (titled Crimson, White & Indigo), due for release on April 19th for only £40.99!
It's still on the archive, for free, and it's easy enough to pick up the temporary files that download while you listen and keep them. It's an audience recording but good enough to find out whether or not you'd want to break into the piggy bank. Here's the link: http://www.archive.org/details/gd89-07-07.aud.wiley.7855.sbeok.shnf

Carole said...

Ooh, thanks for the info Chris.