Tuesday, March 2, 2010

I'm your (AR Rah)man


OK, first attempt at posting...* So, various people were ever so nice about the AR Rahman track I contributed to tinny's Earworms feature a week or two back, so I thought I'd, ahem, treat you to a few more of the Mumbai maestro's meisterwerks.

Rang De Basanti
The title track of my favourite Bollywood film (for sentimental, rather than artistic, reasons). Big old upbeat bhangra-esque (I think) stomper.

From the only Bollywood film I would unequivocally recommend to anyone, "Lagaan".

From "Dil Se". Those RR-ers with particularly lengthy memories will recall that "Chaiya Chaiya" from the same movie made it into the A List for Songs Recorded for Movies.

A swoonsome weepy from "Guru", starring Mr and Mrs Bollywood, Abishek (son of Amitabh) Bachchan and Aishwarya Rai.

I just love this one. Makes me homesick for a land that was only ever my home for six months but will always have a special place in my heart (bleurgh, etc).

*If this works, big thanks and respec' to Steenbeck, tincanman and ejaydee. If it doesn't, I have only myself to blame...

13 comments:

Makinavaja said...

Well done! It's working fine here in Madrid! Great first post! Looking forward to driving the Maki family mad with this playlist.

ejaydee said...

Sweet.

Makinavaja said...

Mrs Maki loves the first one! She wants me to make her a CD . Scrap the end of my first comment, then!

bishbosh said...

Thanks guys - plenty more where these came from. You have been warned...

ShariVari said...

Awesome. It's great to see Rahman currently getting the international props he deserves.

I think my favourite Hindi film soundtrack of recent years might be Anu Malik's Asoka though. The film itself is absolutely magnificent too - although was panned at the time.

gremlinfc said...

Fantastic stuff young BishBosh - can someone explain in very simple terms how to do this embedding stuff? I just can't get it...

gremlinfc said...

Hold the front page...
Just spotted Steenbeck's instructions so will try them out (dnager of going part-time on here - you miss quite a lot...)

bishbosh said...

Couldn't agree more, ShariVari. Rahman is a genius. Must check out the "Asoka" soundtrack - recall quite enjoying the film (love those historical epics!) but don't remember much about the music.

Good luck with the embedding, gremmy. I went with tin's simplified version of steen's instructions, and that seems to have done the trick!

goneforeign said...

Bish: Lagaan is the only one that I remember, possibly because of the cricket match.
There's an article about Asha Bhosle that I read today, it's at:
http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=124110521
I have her on a compilation; are you from India?

bishbosh said...

Thanks for that link, goneforeign - interesting piece. Funnily enough, the female vocal on "Jiya Jale" is by Lata Mangeshkar.

Nah, I'm as English as they come, I'm afraid. Just developed a taste for Bollywood movies (and particularly their soundtracks) having spent a bit of time in India. I'm far from an expert - what knowledge I do have of filmi music really only stretches back a decade or so.

steenbeck said...

Thank you, BishBosh...wonderful first post. I'm enjoying this very much. The perfect thing for another rainy day. I love the cow too.

bishbosh said...

Thanks Steen. I used to be terrified of that animal. He looks so serene, but walk too close down a narrow street and he'd swing his head round and try and skewer you with those horns... Therein lies the danger in letting any creature believe he's sacred. Happy days!

Luke-sensei said...

finally got time to listen to these today....such a nice (and different to what I would normally listen to) sound. I liked the slower burning final track best despite not understanding a word!

cheers bishbosh!