Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Exile on Sao Paulo Street

Say you've got a bit of a band going. You've done a couple albums and they've sold so-so. The alt-country/blues/rock field is crowded these days. Reviewers say you can sound a bit like mid-70's Stones, which is great 'cause you loved those albums. So when someone - and we don't know who; it's not like minutes were taken - says maybe we should try and sound even a bit more like the Stones, no one puts their hand up and says ''surely you're taking the Mick.'' Someone else, maybe even the same person, says why not have a go at making a record that sounds like a follow up to Exile on Main Street? Or the missing tracks fromwhich thereby?
Now, would you do it?
Woulda ya?
Would ya have a go?
The Deadstring Brothers have, and its called Sao Paulo.
There's nothing wrong with the album. It's capably done.
But would you have done it?
Would I?
Well I picked Smile as the representative sample because it's the shortest song on the album. You've got stuff to do. I've got stuff to do. We're all busy.

2 comments:

Fintan28 said...

Tin, dead on characterization you've made. Dangerous road to go down tho'. Say you're young & a bit sloshed & someone says "hey you sound like Peter Noone". The mind boggles!

Unknown said...

I dont think I would, because if I loved an album that much, I would probably think it's perfect already wouldn't I?