Friday, March 12, 2010

Revisiting albums

This post has been prompted by listening to a particular CD that until recently I'd kind of dismissed as "used to like it - not sure if I really still want it" and that album is this one;



Bring It On by Gomez.

It was a Mercury Prize winner, back in 1998, and that is one reason I bought it, plus the fact that the track "Whippin' Piccadilly" got a fair amount of airplay at the time and I liked the song.

I liked Gomez so much at the time that I bought their follow up album Liquid Skin too.

Then, in around 2000, I went off them. I just stopped playing their albums and kind of forgot about them completely.

Anyway, I was refilling the car stereo CD changer cassette on Sunday and my gaze fell on Bring it on and, on impulse loaded it up.

I have been listening to it in the car since Sunday, playing it three times so far and guess what?

Yep, I really like it.

So, who else has had similar happy revisitings?

Or, for that matter, unhappy ones? I have one of those too. I bought the first Muse album when it came out and didn't like it much. I tried it again last year and still didn't like it. That one went for 50p in a car boot sale.

I am keeping the Gomez though and will have to give Liquid Skin a spin or two as well.

6 comments:

DarceysDad said...

Yeah, I'm pretty much with you on Gomez, Carole. Definite case of Law Of Diminishing Returns after loving the debut, but they haven't yet rehabilitated themselves with me. I'll give something a go again later.

Thanks.

tincanman said...

I ran across a Gomez song half a year ago somehow and, not having been paying attention to Mercurys at the time, had no clue who they were. I was impressed enough to get a couple albums and I wondered why they weren't better know. Now I guess I know why.

TonNL said...

Unhappy revisitings: when the Strokes' 'Is this it' was hailed as album of the decade by lots of critics & websites/blogs I dug it out from deep in my crates and checked it again: a couple of OK-ish songs, still don't like the (slightly distorted?) vocals, best thing about it: it is mercifully short, just over half an hour....

Shoey said...

One of those knock out a great tune every once in a while bands. Accomplished, well-produced, bland & coffee table for the most part. Spilled a tune from them a while back & got away with it. Coldplayish if you will.

TonNL said...

...somehow I like Coldplay's 'The Scientist'... (especially the Aimee Mann cover version!)

Anonymous said...

"Get Myself Arrested" was ace!