Quite a few years ago, possibly on this date, I did an on-air program devoted to poetry about war, there's so much available possibly because the subject is never ending. I recently came across the mini disc that I used for all my recorded material and I thought that this might be an appropriate time to share a few of them. So here's half a dozen, they're a fairly random pick, you probably know most of them.
There's a good article re. WW2 in today's Guardian with a decent blog, it's at: http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2009/sep/02/second-world-war-nostalgia-myths
1. BLACKOUT by Robinson Jeffers.
2. YOUR ATTENTION PLEASE by Peter Porter.
3. ANTHEM FOR DOOMED YOUTH by Wilfred Owen.
4. WAR & HELL by Earnest H Crosby.
5. I THINK CONTINUALLY... by Stephen Spender.
6. DULCE EST DECORUM EST by Wilfred Owen
7. MAY - JUNE, 1940 by Robinson Jeffers