Thursday, September 3, 2009

SEVENTY YEARS ON......




Quite a few years ago, possibly on this date, I did an on-air program devoted to poetry about war, there's so much available possibly because the subject is never ending. I recently came across the mini disc that I used for all my recorded material and I thought that this might be an appropriate time to share a few of them. So here's half a dozen, they're a fairly random pick, you probably know most of them.

There's a good article re. WW2 in today's Guardian with a decent blog, it's at: http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2009/sep/02/second-world-war-nostalgia-myths

1. BLACKOUT by Robinson Jeffers.
2. YOUR ATTENTION PLEASE by Peter Porter.
3. ANTHEM FOR DOOMED YOUTH by Wilfred Owen.
4. WAR & HELL by Earnest H Crosby.
5. I THINK CONTINUALLY... by Stephen Spender.
6. DULCE EST DECORUM EST by Wilfred Owen
7. MAY - JUNE, 1940 by Robinson Jeffers

9 comments:

ToffeeBoy said...

I love Peter Porter!

TatankaYotanka said...

GF is that you reading? There's been quite a lot in the news this last week about Oxford University putting previously unseen writing and facsimiles from Edmund Blunden online .

treefrogdemon said...

Eric Bogle's And the Band Played Waltzing Matilda popped up on my iPod this morning which was timely. Especially since I'm going to see him tomorrow night and he'll sing it no doubt.

I nearly had to pull over - it always makes me cry.

treefrogdemon said...

btw I do know that was a different war...

TatankaYotanka said...

Robb Johnson was amongst my nominations this week and I really recommend his work Gentle Men with Roy Bailey and Vera Coomi which is based on the experience of both his maternal and paternal Grandfathers in the Great War.

Anonymous said...

We owe it to someone else's achievements in health and thus feel joy, depending on the success of others as if their achievements, and this is the Buddha mind. Always hold the interests of all sentient beings of the heart, we can not leave the joy forever.
www.cosmifilm.com.tw
www.cosmifilm.com.tw/index.htm
www.cosmifilm.com.tw/pro1.htm
www.cosmifilm.com.tw/product2.htm
www.pandora-mall.com
www.pandora-mall.com/default.asp
www.pandora-mall.com/info/guide.asp
www.pandora-mall.com/info/view.asp?id=1

FP said...

We did Dulce et decorum est in school. It blew me away then. Still does.

AliMunday said...

Thanks GF. When my parents were young they shared an interest in Rupert Brooke, and had identical copies of one of his poetry collections.Over the years my father collected several volumes of 'war' poetry which he picked up mainly at second-hand shops. They still make harrowing reading.

AliMunday said...

Thanks GF. When my parents were young they shared an interest in Rupert Brooke, and had identical copies of one of his poetry collections.Over the years my father collected several volumes of 'war' poetry which he picked up mainly at second-hand shops. They still make harrowing reading.