Sunday, September 6, 2009

Songs From My Father



Here's one that I got from my dad, when I was about 17, from his staggeringly enormous record collection: 

The track is "Psyche Rock" by Pierre Henry, from 1967, and it lives up to its name, very early electronic sounds feature. I vaguely remember the rest of the album to be a lot less poppy and much more spacious and experimental. I think I had a big beat remix on a c90 back in the day too. And listening to it now, did Futurama borrow heavily for their theme tune? 

Does anyone else know much of Pierre Henry? 

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Threadfail

my old mans a acid casualty said...

was that you blimpy?

loved the track and must look up the big beat remix.. will get back to do an influenced by my old man one day.. now i'm hacking up a carcass.

(must add my dad has no idea what acid is.. officer.. just a joke)

sane

saneshane said...

and officer- the carcass is a kitchen unit - alright!

Unknown said...

I remember ShivSidecar writing about this tune only a couple of months ago over on RR. Wasn't the big beat remix by Fatboy SLim? Weren;t all big beat remixes by Fatboy Slim? Or am I confusing it with E.V.A by Jean-Jacques Perrey?

If you want more, you could check out this page:
http://whatsinmyipod.blogspot.com/search?q=moog

steenbeck said...

What a great track. I love the bells (and whistles!)

Luke-sensei said...

Loved it too Blimpy...and had never heard of Pierre Henry, will deffo investigate further

Shoegazer said...

Any chance the old man could do a blimpcast?

B-Mac said...

@shoey - I'll have to ask him