Friday, October 2, 2009

Rainy rainy rattlesnakes



As my Scottish grandma used to say:

Rainy rainy rattlesnakes
Dinna rain on me
Rain on John o'Groats' house
Far across the sea

The Rain Came Down - Steve Earle
Raining In Port Arthur - the Gourds
Rainy Day Women Nos. 12 & 35 - Bob Dylan and the Band
The Rains Came - Sir Douglas Quintet
Rainy Night House - Joni Mitchell
Look Through My Window - the Mamas and the Papas
Dreams - Fleetwood Mac
Mississippi Summer - June Tabor and Oysterband
Wicked Rain - Los Lobos
Rainbow Over The Hill - Richard Thompson

5 comments:

ToffeeBoy said...

@ tfd

Love the poem - I'll listen to the songs tomorrow. Of course my ancestors used to look out across the sea o John O'Groats - wasn't that far away, though ...

AliMunday said...

Superb music - did you know there's a plan in the offing to regenerate John O'Groats to make it more tourist friendly? I read about it the other day - they had artist's drawings and everything so it must have been a planning magazine, but I can't remember the details. Hope they don't spoil its character too much.

treefrogdemon said...

Thanks both...TB, my ancestors did too (in both directions): AliM, I haven't been to John o'Groats myself (though I visited those parts a few years ago in search of ancestors) but I gather there's not much character to spoil.

steenbeck said...

Lovely playlist, TFD. I particularly like the Gourds and Sir Douglas Quintet.

My grandmother used to say "Chili today, hot tamale."

I like this from mother goose...

Rain on the green grass
Rain on the tree
Rain on the rooftops,
But not on me!

treefrogdemon said...

Thank you, steen - I have just acquired an SDQ album that has the Gourds on it, but only on one track unfortunately. (Though it's very good!)

barbryn has put the St Etienne tracks in the Dropbox for you.