Monday, November 3, 2008

Get On The Bus (or take a long walk) (or board the freedom train)



Ten treks that all happen to take place around the States. Not sure how large an electoral college this represents but it's certainly a hard campaign trail, and you'll have earned your chance for relaxation and reflection by the end of it. All the named tracks were nominated this week. As for identifying the unnamed 10th track, I'm afraid you're on yer jack jones.

EDIT: I didn't have it as an mp3 last night but I also wanted to 'Spill Tony Joe White's Aspen Colorado so I've now added it, newly peeled off my TJW Black & White LP, so excuse the fluff.

The Staple Singers - Long Walk To D.C.
Jim Croce - Walkin Back To Georgia
Judy Garland - The Trolley Song
Charles Mingus - Boogie Stop Shuffle
Bobbi Humphrey - Harlem River Drive
Judee Sill - There's A Rugged Road
The Last Poets - On The Subway
Jim Croce - I Got A Name
Gil Scott-Heron & Brian Jackson - 95 South (All Of The Places We've Been)
...

Tony Joe White - Aspen Colorado

4 comments:

steenbeck said...

Only half the list would play this morning, but so far I'm loving it. I thought of Harlem River Drive this weekend, but then I second (third, fourth) guessed myself, because, you know, it's the name of a road, and for some reason that seemed to disqualify it for me. Then I saw you'd nominated it, and it made sense after all...

May1366 said...

All seems to be working OK now, although the Gil track threw me because it had about fifteen seconds of fade-out from the previous track on that album. That's rectified now. Glad you're liking it, steen: the Staples track is especially with you and yours in mind today. From this far away, things are looking good but how's it feeling over there?

ToffeeBoy said...

Only just got around to listening to this - fantastic list, may. Loved the Tony Joe White track. Lots of new stuff for me...

May1366 said...

TB - is it just this Tony Joe White track that's new to you, or is he generally uncharted waters? If the latter, I could sling a few more tracks into a blog, if you like.