Thursday, November 20, 2008

A-Z Index Update Nov 20, 2008

So I have been busy ading to the RR Index which is at http://rrindex.com as follows:

I started by doing topic pages for all the topics starting alphabetically and finished the As. While doing that I came across an index page which included links to all the blogs and columns for 2005 and 2006. That was a nice find so I decided to work sequentially on the topics by date and finished all the topics for 2005. I discovered in the process that the column was launched on Sept. 16, 2005 and the first topic was change. The first blog was posted two weeks before that. There were fifteen topics in 2005, then a two week hiatus after Christmas before the column came back on Jan. 6, 2006 with the first guest columnist as Dorian took a break.

Here's a trivia question for you - who was the first guest columnist? Hint: It wan't Maddy!

I am thinking of adding a few additional pages - one will be about the writers - short biogs and links to info about them. Another is an RR Trivia page. A related topics page. A Links page. And finally, if there is enough interest - a page about the bloggers if the regular bloggers are interested in submitting a short bio of themselves, picture optional for that page. Let me know if you would be interested in that.

There are now 38 topic pages completed. All but 5 are cross linked with the A-Z by Artist pages. All of the 2005 and 2006 topic pages have links to both the blog and the column for that topic.

The only problem I have encountered so far is finding links for one of the 2007 blogs - the US Cities and States. If anyone has that link, please post it here or email it to me at marco@breakoutreport.com

Next week I hope to get to fifty completed topic pages, all cross linked with the A-Z by artist pages. That would be close to a third of the topics complete. Plus a start on a Trivia page.

The early columns are interesting reading if you haven't read them before. Check them out. I'm trying to read them all as I go through them.

PS: There has been an expression of willingness to help. Email me and I will send a template, some useful data and specific requests so there is no duplication of work. You probably won't get any replies from me until Sunday though.

4 comments:

ToffeeBoy said...

@ Marconius7 - please don't take this silence as expressing a lack of interest in what you're doing. I'm sure everyone's just so overawed by the scale of the project and the idea that one person could even consider taking it all on on their own.

I think it's utterly magnificent and you should definitely be recognised for your extraordinary contribution to Spilldom in this years' 'Spill awards - who knows, you may even be in line for the Brian Speng Life Time Achievement Award?

I like the ideas of all the extras but I'm not sure about the bloggers' pages - I think we all enjoy the anonymity.

I've sent you an email offering my assistance. Come on the rest of you, don't be shy...

Anonymous said...

@ Marconious7
I think it's wonderful of you to get this project up and running (where do you find the time?). Unlike ToffeeBoy I cannot offer any assistance - I'm glad when I find the time to actually read the posts on here; I don't always get round to listening to all of the music, sigh - but I will happily knit you a pair of socks (after Christmas!) as a gesture of my admiration. You just need to choose a colour and name your shoe size (and promise to take them on an outing to Hornby Island some day)
Cheers!

GarethI said...

Marconius7, send me a template over and I'll do a couple for you.
And the link to the US cities and states blog – which isn't the songs about America blog – is here.

Anonymous said...

I just want to add my admiration for what you've done. I don't have the know-how so, sorry can't help but I've really enjoyed tripping through the different blogs. As I've just said on the mothership, I feel quite sad about the number of people who have apparently just 'dropped off' the blog. Oh, and I've enjoyed reading my own early recommendations ofcourse.

I might contribute a 'biog' of myself, if that part of it takes off but don't expect it to bear any resemblance to reality!